Monday, March 2, 2009

Ragnar

So, question of the day. What do you get when you cross 2796 crazy people with 201.9 miles and way too much time on their hands? (hint: it's not NASCAR)

Answer: Ragnar relay.

So this past weekend I ran on a team of twelve people and we ran from Prescott to Mesa. Do you know what happens to your legs after running for 27 and 1/2 hours? they explode. Like mine did.
Honestly, it was a blast. Incredibly fun. Mucho funo (that's spanish, in case you were wondering, pronounced fun--oh).

Here are some of the highlights:

1. I finished my first leg of the race, I had been running hard, and i was ready to hand off the baton....and my team wasn't there. They had completely passed the handoff place and had just kept going. So I waited for about 5 or 6 mins (the other teams began to catch up) and then the big blue van came, out hopped my mom and she ran over took the baton and took off. Now, this whole incident wouldn't have been so bad, but about 6 hours later, while we were resting, a really cute girl (as cute as you can get while smelling like 8 hours of BO) came up to me and said, "Hey are you that guy that was hauling at the beginning of the race?....and then your team wasn't there?" she laughed. I dropped kicked her... in my mind.

2. We passed through a place called Peeples Valley. No joke. Peeples. What were they thinking? I mean, come on! Who on Earth would name a city Peeples? Maybe they just didn't no how two spel verie whel an desided two naim the plase "Peeples". Basically, it was really a lot more funny for everyone who was in our van because we had had 2 hours of sleep in the past 24 hours, and we were all high on 18 miles worth of endorphins, or endofins, (maibe i should lern how to spel tue).

And finally, 3. One of our teammates was attacked by a pack of dogs. No joke. Conrad Spencer came up to us after one of his legs and told us that a huge pack of dogs came after him and started attacking him. At first I thought he was messing around, but no, he was very serious. Anyway, he fought them off with his headlamp that he was using and he survived. (for the record, he almost can't see at all without his glasses, so we really aren't sure if he was attacked by dogs or a pack of angry desert gnomes....whatever the heck those are)

Anyway, this weekend was a blast, and the endorphins are finally beginning to leave my system.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad your race went well. So sorry about your legs exploding. That must have hurt. :) I can't believe that you got there so fast and then didn't have anyone to hand off to!! Way to drop kick that girl in your mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quit yer hatin'!
    http://www.y-pvchamber.com/history.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: One of my friends told me about this:
    http://uanews.opi.arizona.edu/node/23622

    ...interested?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Desert gnomes?! I've ran into them before! Bastards.

    Wait, does your mother read your blog? I suppose I should be more careful. But I'm going to post this anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. can I just say that I LOVE your blog title. joe rickles? now that just takes me down memory lane.

    thanks for the recap of ragnar. I must say your recap is much more entertaining than mine. I really left out key info.

    ReplyDelete