Friday, July 17, 2009

Boy Scout Camp

So, earlier this week I drove up to Northern Arizona to be an adult for a scout camp.

It was . . . interesting. Like. . . , ok, I am really amazed at how close the Lord of the Flies is like Boy Scout Camp. Wow. William Golding must have been a scoutmaster or something, because he nailed it. 12 year old boys are CRAZY!

They also have an attention span of about 13 seconds. For example, this really happened on a field trip to a museum in Flagstaff:

---Me teaching astromomy--
me---"Ok, so what is the Sun made out of?"
boy #1 --"Hey, stop touching me!"
boy #2 --" I'm just sitting here."

boy#1 kicks boy #2.

me--"Hey guys, let's calm down, let's look at this book for the astronomy merit badge."
boy #1--" Look! Elk!"
boy #3-- "I want some cheetos"
boy #1 --"Your mom is so fat she's like a whale"
boy #3--"That's dumb"
boy #4 --" Nick's mom is dumb"

--laughing---

me--"Ok, astronomy. The Sun"
boy#2--"Hey Joe, I have a question"
me--" Go for it"
boy #2 ---" So did you know that in the center of the Sun is actually a Sun god, and his daughter hates the Earth so he's gonna start blowing up stuff on Earth."
me---" Um.....ok guys, Let's look at this picture righ---"
Boy#3---" I want cheetos"
Boy#4---"Where's my water bottle?"
boy #2---"Are there aliens?"
me---"Sure"
boy#6--" Have you ever been on the Tower of Teror?"
me--" yes. . . Ok, so, astronomy---"
Boy#5,6,7 burst into song--" If I were a boy scout a boy scout I would be..."
Boy #2--" Did you know the loch ness monster is real?"

No comments:

Post a Comment